Sunday, September 18, 2011

Breakfast Favorite - Beef Tapa


Beef Tapa with sunny side-up and fried rice or simply Tapsilog is my favorite breakfast. I really like my breakfast to be heavy. I can have this anytime of the day - morning, noon and night. I can never get tired of eating it. This is what I regularly order in Pancake House and other breakfast joints. I wanted to have this breakfast even when I'm just at home, so I made a homemade beef tapa. Allow me to share with you my special Beef Tapa recipe,(bragging aside) which is one of the favorites of my family and friends.


Homemade Beef Tapa (without the nitrates)


Ingredients
1/2 kilo Beef sirloin, sliced thinly
1 head Garlic, minced
3/4 cup Soy sauce
Juice from 8 pieces of Calamansi
4 Tablespoons Sugar
dash of Pepper
2 tablespoons of Oil for frying (Canola/Corn/Vegetable)

Dipping sauce
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
dash of salt & pepper
dash of sugar
3 tablespoons vinegar
chili (optional)

Procedure

  1. Mix together the garlic, soy sauce, calamansi juice, sugar and pepper.
  2. Add the mixture to the beef sirloin. Marinate the meat for at least 6 hours or overnight. 
  3. Strain the meat from the mixture. Fry in oil until golden brown. 


VARIATIONS

You may add a slice chili pepper and a dash of paprika to make a spicy tapa. Whenever I have leftovers of my tapa, I add it to my fried rice, making it Beef Tapa Rice. Another way of preparing my beef tapa, I make the beef tapa flakes, though this is more time consuming.  This maybe done a day ahead. The said marinade is the base for my beef tapa flakes. Just add 3/4 cup of water to the tapa marinade. Let it boil for at least 30 minutes to make the meat tender. Once the meat is cool, use a fork and knife or better yet your hands to shred the meat into flakes. To make it more crispy, store the flakes in the refrigerator. When ready to consume, fry the flakes in oil. You may pair this with fried rice, sunny side-up or salted egg and tomatoes. Any leftovers of Beef Tapa Flakes, I add it to my fried rice with scrambled eggs, creating a new dish altogether Beef Tapa Flakes Rice. 


But for this day, I'll just have my Tapsilog with my freshly brewed coffee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment