Monday, February 6, 2012

CELEBRATIONS Part I

I figure out that reaching my 35th birthday is a milestone that has to be celebrated. Thus, I had series of birthday celebrations. I like hosting intimate get-together so I can really interact with guests and pay more attention to them. For my birthday, I hosted different intimate parties for different groups of people. 

A week before my birthday, I had simple comfort food for my pre-birthday celebration with my in-laws. I prepared Chicken Pastel and Sauteed Snap Peas with Bacon and Leche Flan for dessert. My in-laws gave me a Red Ribbon Mango Cake as my birthday cake. 

On my natal day, I decided to have a Greek-themed lunch. Why Greek? I wanted something different. I haven't done it before and was curious how will it turn out to be. I'm a great fan of Cyma, so why not do something challenging for an extra special day, recreating the dishes that I love in Cyma. Whooopahhhh! Thanks to Food Magazine (October 2011) for providing the Greek recipes. My Greek-inspired fete had the following:

  • Pita Bread with Tzatziki - a dip made of cucumber, yogurt and dill. 
  • Roka Salata or Greek Rocket Salad - composed of arugula and romaine leaves with candied walnuts and slivered sun-dried tomatoes drizzled with honey balsamic vinaigrette.
  • Penne Rigatoni with Meatball Sauce (for the kids)
  • Chicken Kebab with Garlic Sauce - chicken cubes marinated with herbs, spices and garlic sauce.
  • Four-cheese pizza (for kids & adults too) - home-made thin-crust topped with special pizza sauce,  parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella and swiss edam. 
  • Margherita Pizza - home-made thin-crust topped with special pizza sauce, cherry tomatoes and basil leaves. 
  • Moussaka - layers of eggplant, meat sauce and Greek Bechamel sauce. 
  • Baklava - layers of phyllo pastry, assorted ground nuts (walnuts, cashew & pistachio), cinnamon, sugar and melted butter. 
  • Lemon Cheesecake - cookie crust, cream cheese and cream topped with lemon glaze. This served as my birthday cake. 
  • Home-made Lime Iced Tea - brewed black tea with brown sugar syrup and lime juice. 


I did not want to sweat it out on my birthday, so I did most or almost all of the prep work a day before my lunch party. I'm happy with the result. The Greek menu was a hit with my family and friends. 

I had fun cooking and baking the food. Again, it was indeed a labor of love. I did it because I want to nurture my loved ones, and I have so much to be thankful for the past year.

At 35, I will try a new dish every week even if it's complicated. I will prepare more healthy and yummy food. Not just in cooking, I will conquer the fear of the unknown/unfamiliar territory. I will always try and give it my best shot. 
















P.S.

Watch out for the Part 2 of the CELEBRATIONS



2 comments: